05 September 2011

Red kite, ongoing

At the moment I'm painting a picture for the nursery of my impending nephew or niece, so in the meantime here's another piece I've been working on, off and on...

This is based on a photo by Tom Melton on Birdforum, with permission. This is the biggest watercolour painting I've attempted - a full sheet. I started it over a year ago when, full of enthusiasm, I got it drawn out. I then found that it was almost impossible to actually work on it without having to clear absolutely everything away first, so it lurked, propped against the wall... One house move later and I find myself with more room, so it's seen the light of day once more and I've been painting it, slowly....

Image is clickable for a closer look as always.

Watercolour, 22" by 30"


  1. Looking good, Sharon! I hope he doesn't have to wait another year to be finished ;)

  2. Lol, hopefully I'll get it finished sooner rather than later!

  3. Beautiful rendition developing here--but don't your portraiture go for too long. You're too good at it.

  4. Don't worry Linda, I'll be back at the portraits soon... my life drawing class will be starting up again in a couple of weeks too, I'm sure that will give me a much-needed boost...

  5. Oh, by the way, my impending niece or nephew has arrived!! So excited, will be meeting James Ernest Moore at the weekend! Finished the jungle painting today, so will get it varnished (phew, just in time...)


Related Posts with Thumbnails